8.02.2010

RBNY Is Making My Life Beautiful/Difficult




So it's finally happened and I just do not know how what to do with myself. On one hand my team is signing bad-badasses like Thierry Henry and Rafa Marquez but on the other hand it Rafa cotdamn Marquez. RBNY could use his talent (especially after this weekend's lax defending) and his marquee value for sure but how the hell am I, a true-blue Yanks supporter, supposed to root for Rafa f***ing Marquez?! For real y'all, I haven't faced a conundrum like this since I tried to reconcile my love of house music with my abhorance of cocaine.

Oh lawdy what am I to do? Do I drop the hate and ride the wave of Taurine-fuelled glory all the way to the playoffs? Or do I seethe in anger for the next however-many years that he is here because of what he did to Cobi? Or do I mature as a soccer fan and recognize this as the moment sh*t got real in MLS and face the fact that the club-vs-country thing has just hit America in a way that it never has before and we, the fans, now have the same problems that supporters the world over have been dealing with for more than a minute now?

I think I'm going to go with the latter since it's totally non-committal and will allow me room to say "Cotdamn Rafa Marquez" with both positive and negative inflections a la the "f***ing Catalina Wine Mixer." But I'd love to hear how you are going to deal with New York fans. I'd also like to hear from my Chi-City brethren as well though: how did you reconcile having Blanco on your team?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: Blanco -- Club Before Country, easy.

Jared said...

can't ever forgive him for what he did to Timmy. and that was a lot more recent than his assault of cobi. I'm at a loss about what to do too. We should start a support group: "The ambivalent about Marquez joining RBNY drinking club." or something of that sort

DJ Tacologic said...

Speaking as a Fire fan, when we got Blanco was when I learned the difference between cheering for club and for country.

Brian said...

no offense SF, this Galaxy fan hates y'all now

ThisIsVictorKim said...

rbny needs it. could care less of his mexican exploits. if he brings rbny an mls trophy, who cares where he's from? I got used to damon being a yankee and clemens too. i can get used to marquez giving beautiful throughs to henry and jpa.

I seperate club and country with a hard line.

Jared said...

Damon and Clemens never played for Cuba, So your argument is moot. Also, as a Yankee fan, I expect this sort of behavior from your lot.

Daniel said...

Just wait until Marquez breaks someone's leg, I predict he leads the league in red cards next year.

Luis said...

Rafa Kovalenko

SF said...

+!. That is Exactly it.