6.21.2010

American Fan Killed, Brother Hospitalized in South Africa



If you'll let me take a break from the usual shenanigans for something very serious this morning I would appreciate it. Last night my grandmother told me about the children of a couple she once worked with at a hospital in my ancestral home of Lafayette, LA who were at the World Cup. Last Tuesday 24 year-old Nicole Murphy -a four-year starter for the 2007 D2 Championship U. of Tampa women's soccer team- and her 19 year-old brother Brian were struck by a car in South Africa. Nicole did not survive while Brian is in critical condition in South Africa.

To get Brian back to the States in his condition will require a specially-outfitted ICU medical jet at the cost of $300,000. The Murphy family is in need of help to meet this cost and are seeking donations to get their son (and daughter) home. I can't speak for the family but anything you can do to help would probably be appreciated; I'm sure we, the American soccer community, can do something to help get 2 of our own home.

2 comments:

JL said...

This is the type of thing I don't like to hear from an international celebration.

Does USSF know about this?

pharmacy reviews said...

this is the main problem with this people, can't control them when the situation is freaking out, and this is the result of those attacks.