2.25.2010

Sign of the Soccer Apocalypse #43: I'm Agreeing With Tommy Smythe



Stop the world, I want to get off! I just found myself agreeing 100% with Tommy Smythe so this must be the end of the line for me in some way. The Leprechaun says that the U.S. needs to start learning how to score and that you'll only get a finite amount of chances in the World Cup so you'd better be able to make the most of them. I couldn't agree more with that. I'd also agree with him that the Yanks will need a damn-near perfect performance to top the English this summer.

And that's really scary to me; not that we need a perfect game to beat the Brits, but that I am now thinking like Tommy Smythe. Next thing you know I'll be talking about bulging onion bags and listening to fiddleedee music. Lord, help us all.

10 comments:

Les Champs Elysees said...

God, I love Shrek!

Julian said...

I always feel like I can trust what Tommy Smythe has to say ... to be completely wrong. Agreeing with him is pretty scary but that's a fairly obvious statement. I wouldn't panic yet.

Jon E said...

I wonder whether Smythe actually listens to traditional Irish music.

I like to picture him stepping off set, dropping three-quarters of his leprechaun accent, getting into his Expedition with the sweet rims, and cranking up Jay-Z.

And going home to watch basketball.

Somehow, that would make me feel a lot better about the man.

Anonymous said...

I am a big fan of your site, so please forgive me for being pedantic but...even though England is obviously in Britain, and the English are indeed British, it's not really correct to call the England team the "Brits". I know it seems like nit picking, but a lot of American sites seem to refer to England and the English team as Britain and the British. We don't have a British team...yet!

SF said...

Would it be better or worse to call them "the Limeys" instead?

Teddie Boy Eddie said...

Knifecrime Islanders?

Eric said...

well "anonymous," it's not entirely correct for the Brits to be calling all Americans "yanks." That's a term reserved for New Englanders. Try going to the South and calling someone that. Or come to the west coast, where we identify a lot more with Latino and Asian cultures than some antediluvian 18th-century Anglicized ideal.

Brian said...

Teddy Boy Eddie, bravo sir, bravo.

Alan said...

I better Tommy Smythe is a huge fan of the Young Dubliners and Black 47

Anonymous said...

'Limeys' sounds good. There's nothing wrong with ensuring your sailors don't get scurvy.