What it is y'all? I'm back from Seattle but not back from the land of sleep deprivation so cut me some slack if I make even less sense than usual. The trip was fantastic and being that I am officially working for The Man now I got to see things from the most intimate of vantage points. Like this one for example.
That's just one of many cool things I saw out there. I also learned a lot out there as well. Here's but a sampling:
- MLS in Seattle is such a different reality than MLS in New York and probably most other places. I wasn't even out fo the airport before I had seen 3 different signs promoting MLS Cup and/or the Sounders. Once our taxi hit downtown I was assaulted with banners hanging from a multitude of lamposts promoting the game. And when I hit the hotel...let's just say I was unsure if I was going to the Superbowl or MLS Cup.
- James Riley runs Seattle. Dude is seriously the mayor; if he goes in the expansion draft I predict an average annual loss of $3000K to every good nightspot in town
- Did you know there is a bar in one of the tunnels leading onto the pitch at Qwest Field? You can't see it on tv, but it's in there right under the tarp. That is where all the cool kids where kickin' it before kickoff.
- And speaking of bars, Kells pub is divorce/compromised sobriety in a box. Any place that is capable of safely containing a combustible mix of bloggers, fans, players, coaches, ex-players, and scandalous women to a soundtrack of M.I.A, MGMT, Phoenix and T.I. is alright by me. Plus John Harkes damn near climbed the bar to lead a sing-a-long of NJ anthem "Living on a Prayer"
- Don't believe everything you read about Stuart Holden transfer rumors. That's all I have to say.
- Steve Davis is the nicest guy in the history of nice guys.
- Press boxes are really, really quiet places. If games happened more often I might take to meditating or attending mass in them.
- Someone is lying about Donovan Ricketts' height. There is no way he is only 6' 4".
- I should drink whiskey or beer. I should not drink whiskey AND beer.