10.29.2009

The Librarian: Soccernomics

Soccernomics

Remember a few years ago how everyone --myself included-- was all OMFG when "How Soccer Explains The World Came Out"? I was all tits-over-tail about and then my man Tom Fina, The Angriest Man in Metroland™, hit me with the heat one night that "Frank Foer is just Kuper light".

Intrigued, I had to find out who this Simon Kuper was so I read his engrossing "Soccer Against the Enemy" and found myself swiftly agreeing with Fina. So it's with great anticipation and fanboy enthusiasm that I get to tell you that his latest book, "Soccernomics: Why England Loses, Why Germany and Brazil Win, and Why the U.S., Japan, Australia, Turkey--and Even Iraq--Are Destined to Become the Kings of the World's Most Popular Sport", came out this week. You should buy it not because I think you should or because you are a footie freak but because it has the most unwieldy title since Dave Eggers' "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius: Based on a True Story?".

8 comments:

ERic said...

I read "How Soccer Explains the World." Thought it didn't explain a damn thing. It nicely highlighted the globalization of the world economy through our favorite sport, though.

My latest fave (yeah, I'm often late to the party) is "Soccer in a Football World." Now that was a great read. IMHO.

Definitely curious about "Soccernomics", though.

Anonymous said...

yeah thanks to you i picked up soccernomics. all i have to say is so far, so good. much better than "how soccer explains the world" thus far. can't wait to finish it

SF said...

Soccer in a Football World...the best read on American soccer I've read. Bug fan of that one.

Martek said...

Thanks for the tip SF. I just ordered it.

Jennifer said...

I can't believe you trademarked Fina : D

Anonymous said...

I'm like, he's like, she's all, they're all...

When did you become a valley girl SF?

SF said...

^^^

1983.

I write like I speak. Soz*.

*that means "sorry".

Anonymous said...

The book is brilliant, but was edited too quickly. some of the points are well documented, others assume belief. And given that one of the main theses is the power of large provincial economies to succeed, (though he's now saying it's likely London will finally bring home CL cup), and he uses Olympique Lyon as the poster child, he doesn't even mention Werder Bremen, perhaps as good an example of their thesis as any.

Worth a read anyway, and will give some thought to management if it hasn't already.