6.01.2009

Video: Gringos at the Gate Trailer



My oh my oh my oh my! Looks like somebody finally/wisely realized that there's a great story to tell in the U.S.-Mexico rivalry and based on some of the choice quotes in this extended, 9+ minute trailer it might actually do a fair bit to stoke the flames further.

San Jose-based filmmaker Michael T. Whalen in conjunction with Mexican director Roberto Donait and Arroyo Seco Films tells the story of the Rio Grande rivalry through the eyes of the fans with Gringos at the Gate. Filmed at the most recent World Cup Qualifier in Columbus and shooting slated for August
at the Azteca, this is an independent work that will hopefully see the light of day (unlike another U.S. Soccer-centric indie film); if you like what you see in the teaser you can help to make that a reality by making a donation toward further production here. Personally I can't wait to see the whole thing; I'll be as happy as a pig in sh*t when this film drops.

10 comments:

peteo said...

Is it just my computer or is there no sound?

ibb said...

Peteo, you didn't miss anything. This will be a great story to tell, but this film won't be the one to do it. Disappointing

JL said...

"I'll be as happy as a pig in sh*t when this film drops."

LOL! But I gotta tell you, pigs are the cleanest animals. They don't eat where they sh*t.

Goose said...

zzzzz

This reminds me a lot of that crappy boring Red Bulls away documentary where the guy gets hit with a bottle.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I'd like to see it but with a narrator instead of the text.

socrprof said...

Wow, looks like a fun film. Great quotes. It captures just what it's like at one of these games. I can't wait to see the final thing!

Me Here said...

Peteo, you didn't miss anything. This will be a great story to tell, but this film won't be the one to do it. DisappointingYeah, I hate to say it, but bleh. Pretty flat. Darn it.

The trailer is nine minutes of repetitive, largely uncompelling soundbites. Does anybody really need an hour-plus of that?

This clip seems like a bunch of footage slapped together. I'd certainly hope the final film has far more fearless editing and an actual narrative of some sort.

SF said...

I enjoy this type of lo-fi stuff but what would be bad ass would be a JV with Nike cutting the interview footage into their game footage and wrapped in the Nike "Don't Tread" branding.

But I can't bag on these guys for doing a better job than I could or for trying to do something on a budget that a few parties with a financial stake in these games should have already grabbed on to.

Me Here said...

Well, I don't mean to be too harsh. Their heart is in the right place, and I don't mean that condescendingly.

There's a good film in there somewhere, because it's a good story to tell. I hope they find their way to it.

negocios rentables said...

Hello, i would like to read more about this interesting topic. I think that this post has very useful information.