6.08.2009

SF Loses The Plot: RBNY Depression Ramble

Red Bull2

We're not even to the All-Star break and I'm about one more loss from completely giving up hope for anything good coming out of the 2009 season for RBNY. I know that's one more loss than necessary for some of my fellow fans but I'm attempting to be an optimist. Other than some wild, unlikely success the only good things I can imagine are the following:

1. A second DP that is so absolutely absurd that upon announcement people will check their calendars to see if it's April 1st.

2. Khano Smith, Juan Pietravallo, and Jorge Rojas are shipped out in a package deal for...anything.

3. Dane Richards, whose presence on the team I do appreciate, earns his Certificate of Completion from the David Beckham School of Crossing.

4. Red Bull Arena and necessary infrastructure are miracled into fully-functional existance by the next home game.

I know full well none of those things are even bordering on likely but the last one is just so close now that it's somehow achieved the impossible and made me more averse to stepping foot into Giants Stadium. If we were winning, different story. But with The Comedy Troup Currently Known as Red Bull New York™ delivering shambolic performances on a weekly basis, the hope that this time next year I will be ballin' out in someplace so luxurious as RBA is really the only thing I have to look forward to as far as the club is concerned.

Which is sad really; I'm more stoked about getting seats than the team I'm paying to see from them. The awful thing about it is that the worse it gets the less passionate I feel about the team; I'm still watching the games --it hasn't gotten that bad yet-- but I'm starting to laugh at their mishaps instead of being angry at them. And I like to stand and sing and cheer and socialize and get involved in the game but now I kinda want to just sit down and daydream about being somewhere else.

Basically I think I'm soccer-depressed and it sucks. I'm sure I'll get over it. I'm going off to listen to The Cure now and daydream about taking mass transit to sit in a seat with a roof over it.

Photo courtesy of RBNY.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Could be worse for ya if you were a Toon Ultra.

sublicon said...

*huggle*

Anonymous said...

Hmm... DC United-- plenty of passion, great rookies, great foreign talent, lousy stadium

NYRB-- no passion, rookies? no foreign talent (besides JPA and he just looks pissed lately), absolutely jaw dropping stadium on the way...

Watch DCU on TV in the Red Bulls stadium?

Martek said...

I feel for you dude, but it's what you guys get after selling your soul for 1, an MLS Cup appearance and 2, the great new digs. The karma books have to balance, and suffering is what you get now!

Aim for next year, in the new place and the new 'tude, new coach, post-Agoos, it could happen.

Anonymous said...

If you build it, they will come....in 9 or 10 years. I feel your pain. We had some decent Crew teams over the years but never complete until last year. I sat through years at Ohio Stadium and Crew Stadium waiting for it to come together. Just enjoy the world cup qualifiers that may come in the meantime.

Cindy said...

oh God do i ever feel you SF! next time a game is on i'd probably be better off just watching the RBA webcams for 90 minutes!

patient boy said...

So SF, did you get your priority number yesterday?

SF said...

I did...lucky number 596.

patient boy said...

Nice! I'm down at 939, which isn't bad considering I've only had 2 consecutive seasons of RBNY tickets. (No credit given for my old Metro packages, but man that seems like eons ago.) That's one hell of a marketing book they sent though...