2.18.2009

Everybody Hearts Juan Pablo Angel

teo

Whilst wading through the 678 news pieces published today about the Beckhamgate™ fiasco, I ran across two articles about Juan Pablo Angel that really have me not feeling Davey Beckham right now. One from SI.com that points out that "Señor Ángel, whose class and professionalism on and off the field -- as well as 35 goals in 53 regular-season and playoff games -- sets the DP bar rather high, which is where it should be". Real Talk from Ridge Mahoney y'all.

The other thing I read was from RBNY's late-season phenom Danny Cepero. He said in a piece he wrote for The New York Times' Goal Blog that "the best words to describe Juan Pablo are “class” and “professional" ". You know you are doing something right when your teammates will dedicate 2,831 words in the NYT to testifying to your greatness.

8 comments:

Brian K said...

I'm a DCU fan and I love JPA.

andrewk said...

As a Revs fan i don't love him. But i honestly have no reason to hate on the guy. Class really is the word.

Hrdina said...

Hearing the news that the extended JPA's contract was one of those rare moments over the past 14 years that I felt the RBNY/Metro front office was actually paying attention. He's a model professional and an awesome striker.

Adam said...

Angel has clearly produced on the field. But shouldn't a DP put butts in seats *and* perform, a la Blanco?

JL said...

Adam... Blanco is Mexican pride, it's like when Valderrama was around, he would pack stadiums. To Colombians, JPA isn't a big deal. I don't know, but my people aren't big fans of their own people when they succeed, don't ask me why.

To me, JPA represents the best of what Colombians are and could be; highly professional, responsible, and curtious people.

Leonardo said...

Juan Pablo Angel = Awesome! as a Colombiano-Americano, I'm especially proud!

lina said...

he is not americano, just colombiano! well depends what you mean, definetly not north americano... he is 100% colombian and well, colombia is in maerica continent...

Closet Phenom said...

JPA has been one of my favorite colombian soccer players. I've followed him since he played for my cross town rivals (NacionaL)!!Que viva el medallo! and while he played for River even though I like Boca. Anyway, he's the reason I bought season tickets for the Red Bulls and had several opportunities to speak to him and he is definitely the type of professional athlete others should aspire to be.