1.06.2009

TOR's Favourite Albums of 2008: #4



For the past 6 or 7 years France's M83 have contented themselves (and me) by alternating between sounding like a digitized version of My Bloody Valentine or acid house with guitars. But for their latest album Saturdays = Youth they have basically turned in the soundtrack for a lost John Hughes movie. If you close your eyes and sway to it enough you can almost see Molly Ringwald in yet another ruffled dress at yet another high school dance.

Speaking of dances someone cut a version of this song, "Kim + Jesse", to the prom scene from the seminal 80's BMX film Rad. So essential.

10 comments:

Fish said...

Great call, I love this album.

What happened to #4, or did I just miss it?

SF said...

Sorry, I got the number wrong. Thanks Mr. Fish. They're playing 2 show sin the city this month...wanna get a drink?

Fish said...

Appreciate the offer, but I live a few hundred miles down the east coast from you.

Sadly, I missed the chance to see them in Charlotte a few months ago.

equus said...

Thanks for introducing me to these great groups. Good stuff!

Rob said...

Ha, I think I've predicted almost every album on your list so far.

Not my thing, but definitely good for the 80s party!

Anonymous said...

um, can i get a little bass on the list? Al Green via ?uestlove? anyone?

If I didn't know any better I'd swear you work at MTV...

hope the holidays treated you well SF. w/o you i wouldn't know what the kids are into these days.

SF said...

^^^

Wow. That is insane that you just that because "Lay It Down" is number 3. Seriously!

Do you have any thoughts about the BCS title game? Let me know how you're feeling about it so I ca. Holler at the bookies!

The Dread Pirate Cabral said...

OH... MY... GOD!! Rad is the greatest movie known to man. Cru Jones > Bart Taylor > Rex Reynolds > Rod Reynolds.

noddables said...

i find them boring on their own, but the Rad vid definitely helps, and they're nice when remixed
http://tinyurl.com/8q6zsq

... then mashed up.
http://tinyurl.com/77fldh

A.Ruiz said...

Ok, you totally redeemed yourself for having the KOL on your list.