12.16.2008

TOR's Favourite Albums of 2008: #9




Next on my list of favorite albums for 2008 is the third album from Montreal's The Stills. After their altogether brilliant debut album Logic Will Break Your Heart, the guitarist left and the drummer started playing guitar and splitting time as vocalist; it was a, um, sh*tty move that resulted in a shockingly bad record, Without Feathers.

But with their third album, Oceans Will Rise, they seem to have gotten past the awkward transition phase and delivered a really solid rock record. It lacks the hips of Logic Will Break Your Heart, but it's a vast improvement over the musical massacre of the last album. Check out the clip of 2 songs form the new album above: "Don't Talk Down" & "Eastern Europe" live from the Mod Club in Toronto.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That clip was WEAAAK. Forgettable music.

#10 was better.

Anonymous said...

NEWSFLASH:

Nobody cares what music you like, unless they are professional soccer players.

SF said...

NEWSFLASH:

I don't care. It's my blog, if it's too much for you I don't have to show you where the exit is.

Steveinho said...

Yeah, I actually dig your taste in music. I don't like all of it, but I like much of it... and many of the ones that you've shown that I haven't listened to before, I've become a big fan of.

Girl Talk, Glasvegas, and especially Common Market to name a few. Keep it up, please.

Kraig said...

Going to echo that -

It's always good to get exposed to something new - some of the stuff you hype - I've heard (or heard about). Others are new to me and some stick.

So thanks for that.

SF said...

Thanks for that. Not everything is for everyone but if you like it great. Nothing like discovering something new, so feel free to let me know any suggestions you may have.

Elliott said...

I definitely dig quite a few of your picks too, SF. Keep it up.

I know you said you aren't really into the power-chord, post-punk sound in the Japanese Motors blog post, but check out the Australian band, Eddy Current Suppression Ring.

They have the songwriting sensibilities of The Stooges with a Black Flag-esque frontman. ("Which Way to Go" & "Get up Morning" are their singles)

They are getting a little buzz here in the States after being pretty celebrated "down under".

Jamie Z. said...

I agree completely with everything you said in your post. "Everything I Build" is one of my favorite songs of the year.

Teddie Boy Eddie said...

SF,

I care what music you like.

TBE