11.18.2008

Hello New York, Are You Paying Attention?

Faithful

The Hudson Valley Times-Record says no one is excited about RBNY. As this photo of the crowd at Nevada Smith's last Saturday shows, they are just asking the wrong people. What's your problem Hudson Valley?

Mind you he's not totally off base; we all know that the NY market hasn't lived up to it's soccer potential since the Carter administration. But I think that an improbable RBNY victory on Sunday could be Act One in the story of The Resurrection™. Act Two would be using the designated player slot once occupied by The Retiree Formerly Known as Claudio Reyna on a respected, marquee international player; rumored names likes Alessandro Del Piero or Thierry Henry would do quite nicely. The Third and final act in this dramatic tale would be actually getting Red Bull Arena open before the closing scene of the 2009 season.

It's fanciful for sure, but well within the realm of possibility. Still I wouldn't go running calling the bookmakers unless you're ready to lose your kneecaps and join your local Murderball league. But if this trifecta of soccer blessings descended upon Gotham in short order I think its repercussions would result in a change in the market, and subsequently the league, for the best.

15 comments:

RedMenace said...

Yeah, the 200+ people flying cross-country are just doing it because they heard the game is in LA, and assume Beckham is playing. Riiiiiight.

Faux Fur and Soccer Shirts said...

The press and non-NY fan reactions to us (yeah, I said us) making the Final has been disgraceful. I'm amazed. But that's 2008. If it ain't negative, it ain't shit.

J-Ro said...

As a DCU fan, I nominate Lothar Mattheus for the role of "respected, marquee international player."

I never thought I'd say this, but go Crew!

Patrick Cook said...

Mind you, the study area was the hudson valley and not the whole metropolitan area. I do agree it was a bit cynical but at least they made it in the paper

Anonymous said...

please don't end up with two DP forwards and no one to give it to them... PLEASE

Anonymous said...

Actually They aren't far off. Look even if 200 people are flying cross country, in a city/area of over 8 Million that is not even a fraction of percent. To say that NOBODY is exited is factually wrong but looking at the big picture its actually accurate.

To tell you the truth if I wasnt checking placelike MF.com, SBU, and this site every other day I wouldnt even know RB is going to MLS Cup.

Anonymous said...

"To tell you the truth if I wasnt checking placelike MF.com, SBU, and this site every other day I wouldnt even know RB is going to MLS Cup"

Then what kind of fan are you??

Anonymous said...

"please don't end up with two DP forwards and no one to give it to them... PLEASE"

No one to give it to them? What are you talking about? Rojas, Van den Bergh, Richards, Mberto.

Anonymous said...

THe point is I am a FAN. If I wasnt I wouldnt know. That is what I meant.

And theres not very many of us in the grand scheme of this like I said before,

When other things happen in the city you hear about it wether youre a fans or not. Wether its a street festival or the Giants games.

Patient Boy said...

Hey SF, nice photo of you and the lads with today's Vecsey column...

SF said...

^^^

Ugh. I hate that photo and it just won't go away. Apparently I was bracing for some kind of impact in it.

Jared said...

Actually, the question I asked myself was "What the hell is the Hudson Times-Record?"

Screw the malcontents and ignorant bastards who just don't get it, go American Soccer!

Also - if I squint hard enough, I can see myself standing in front of that main screen in Nevada Smith's. God that was a wonderful night.

Anonymous said...

VDB can cross and he's fine, but Richards is far from skilled, Rojas may not even be here based on all of the signings we made mid-year, and Mbuta hasn't played 90 minutes yet.. how does he qualify... he hasn't had an assist yet.. if you have 2 DPs, one of them better be a playmaker for the middle of the pitch

JL said...

i checked every major newspaper in nyc to see if there was any mention on RBNY going to the finals. I saw nothing but a fine print on the daily news where there's they put game schedules. It's ridiculous.

muebles en madrid said...

Very useful piece of writing, much thanks for your post.