10.09.2008

The Thursday Night Hype: Rio Tinto Coming Out Party Edition



As I watch this clip of last night's broadcast from the ABC's news affiliate in Salt Lake City, all I can really hear in my head is Smashing Pumpkins' Billy Corgan straining out the chorus from his 1996 hit "Tonight, Tonight".

Even if you could give a damn about RSL or RBNY's playoff chances you really should consider getting stuck into tonight's MLS Primetime match on ESPN2 (10pm EST) just for the pure spectacle of it. Built with sight lines and broadcasters in mind, tonight game will feature 10-11 cameras shooting the flyovers, fireworks and assorted bells and whistles that will accompany such a crucial and emotional match.

2 bits of footie-nerd trivia for you. The first is that this is the third time that The Club Formerly Known As Metro has opened someone else's house (they were the first men on the moon in Dallas and Chicago...always the bridesmaids). The second is that RSL has still never been able to defeat RBNY -- but something tells me that unfortunately for me tonight might be their night.

3 comments:

JT said...

Oh man, that clip had everything. I liked a) the aimless shot of some dude on a Segway and b) Local Guy On The Spot newscaster busting out the espaƱol in the PA booth.

Man, I'm jealous. I'd like a Rio Tinto Stadium in my town....

Anonymous said...

Man, the sportscaster said "trophy" at the end. for a sec, i thought he was talking about metro or rsl...

Anonymous said...

Good to see they're getting some good press in SLC.