6.26.2008

UPDATED: So I Went to that Steve Nash/Claudio Reyna Thing...

Parklife

I never thought I would see Soloman Kalou score off a Jason Kidd assist, but I did today. I never thought I would see Jozy Altidore play in New York again, but I did today. Sh*t, I never thought I would see Claudio Reyna score in New York, but I did today. That's the kind of fantasy world Steve Nash & Claudio Reyna's "Showdown in Chinatown" was.

With the likes of Reyna, Kalou, Altidore, Greg Berhalter and former Metrostars hero Giovanni Savarese lining up against Thierry Henry, Steve McManaman, Robbie Fowler and a handful of NBA superstars, what was billed as a charity event was more like FIFA Street come to life. As much as the overflow crowd of hip, young, international footie freaks were juiced up to see Henry be his bad self it was Kalou who stole the show; the guy was throwing out step-overs and doling out back-heels all over the place. On the real y'all, his game was so sick that I might need to see an optomotrist just for having witnessed it.

All in all it was pretty rad to see all these great footballers playing a pick up game in Chinatown...definitley something memorable although it's late now and my memory is failing me. With that I'll leave you with some decent footage courtesy of some cat called FunkyTwoStep that I found on Youtube. Witness the mob scene and fence-climbing English gatecrasher.



UPDATE: More footage the Wednesday night and an awesome recap from TIAS.




Props to Charlie for the photo.

6 comments:

michfan2123 said...

I had a lot of fun. I was in the corner during that Henry video. I was like 10 feet away, it was awesome.

Carles said...

You can see ESPN NBA writer MARC STEIN coming in right next to Steve McManaman.

Teddie Boy Eddie said...

My favorite moment of the match was when Baron Davis dispossessed Henry. That was hilarious.

Any idea who the keepers were? The dude who played for the blue side performed admirably.

Anonymous said...

Sick. So Sick. When are they coming to Chicago? Luol Deng has ties to England and Africa. Maybe he could pull Drogba, Eto'o, Manute Bull, 50, and Ricketts and take on Nash and Co. next.

Matthew said...

I'm from the Bay Area, and I know Jason Kidd used to play for the Bay Oaks, which is the elite boys soccer club in the area...I wonder if he still had any skills on the field.

negocios rentables said...

Hello, i would like to read more about this interesting topic. I think that this post has very useful information.